Lightened-Up Creamy Chicken Noodle Soup
Low Calories - 200 per serving!
- 1 tbsp. unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup chopped yellow onion (I use frozen diced onions)
- 1 cup sliced carrots (2 carrots)
- 1 cup sliced celery (2-3 stalks)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 tsp. dried or fresh thyme
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 7 cups chicken broth
- 1 medium potato, peeled and diced
- 2 cups shredded roasted chicken (I buy a cooked rotisserie chicken from deli department)
- 1 cup fat free half-and-half or whole milk
- 4 cups uncooked wide egg noodles
- Heat butter in a large pot over medium heat. Add onions, carrots, celery, and garlic. Salute (approx. 7 minutes and veggies get tender). Add flour, oregano, pepper, thyme, and salt. Stir and cook for about 3 minutes.
- Next, add broth and potato. Bring to a boil. Then reduce heat and let simmer for 25 minutes or until potatoes and carrots are soft.
- Add chicken, half-and-half (or whole milk), and noodles. Cook for approx. 10 minutes or until the noodles are at desired tenderness.